Why Regent University?

I transferred into Regent University from a state school. My experience at Regent has been so different from a public school because the professionalism and value of Christian character that inspires people to excellence. I have received so much personal attention to my goals, I have no doubt this choice is a factor in my future career success.

Why Online Learning?

Online Learning is great because it is so convenient!
Click-in, click-out and class is over for the day. I have been able to save hours of my time while still being able to engage with the learning experience because of . I think online learning holds is large part of the future in education.

Why An English Degree?

Most people don't think of English as a bona-fide major. A
classmate once told me, "All we English majors do is study truth and beauty all day." I could not agree more. As an English major, I have been able to critically think and determine truth and beauty.

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Pre-Conceived Notions: Lessons from Samoa


Many of you have heard about the Tsunami that hit the Samoan Islands in the South Pacific two weeks ago. If you haven’t then you can read about it here. In the Fall of 2006 I spent three months in Western Samoa doing missionary work. Three years ago today I was down in the South Pacific living with native islanders, visiting their homes, eating their roasted pigs, dancing island dances in their church services and wearing their traditional long wraps. Now, some of those people are hard to imagine. Some of them are dead.

No one I personally knew died but as I read my facebook feed, sad stories of family members and loved ones of the people I knew are rolling down my screen. If this thing would have happened three years ago, I could have been a casualty myself. My loved Samoans and YWAM companions could have been the casualties. Life would no longer be about pursuing youthful dreams. It would be about coming back home to the United States in one piece.

Samoa was a place of peace and beauty. Samoa destroyed my pre-conceived notion that God is only in the functional, the highly-spiritual and the overtly religious. God is in the deepest and furthest points of life too. He resides in midnight conversations under palm trees. He resides in the kitchen where people are making food. He stirs hurricanes and tsunamis from the depths of the ocean. He is in Samoa which is now cleaning up watery ash. More than ever when my ideas about the world are being challenged and re-aligned, I am reminded that I am not in as much control as I thought. In a time like this, when the aftermath of Samoa is staring at me in pictures I am reminded that the world is not in line with my pre-conceived notions. I am more on a puppet's string than I ever thought.


4 comments:

  1. Hey girl!
    Though it was sad, I enjoyed reading your post. It's interesting to see how different people relate to disasters like this.

    In reference to your comment on mmyyy blog, I am sort of a screenwriter. I really dig the cleanness and formatting involved in scriptwriting, but I tend to get stuck during the actual writing process.

    Anywho, thanks for reading and commenting! See you around campus!!

    -Christen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the Lord is full of surprises. And they are the best kids =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mean...kinds. Although I'm sure he's got great kids too. We are his children afterall, and I feel like I'm full of surprises haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm speechless after reading your blog. I remember the newspapers from the days to follow this tragic event....or should I say the lack of coverage from the media.

    Thanks for your blog.

    Jer

    ReplyDelete